I wish to report that Tuesday, January 4 the outgoing officers and the officers elect of the Walla² Fly Fishers held a club business meeting at Jacobi's Cafe. Present for this meeting was Scott, Barry, Dale and the new officers elect - Bob Long - Pres., Tyson Kopfer - VP, Doug Coe - Treasurer, Dale McKain - Secretary.
During this meeting the points of concern that were discussed:
- Current Baker Boyer Bank account balance
- Liability insurance needs
- Membership, old and new
- Membership dues
- Meeting location
- Fly Tying workshops
- Fly Fishing workshop
- Meeting programs
- Fly Fishing Fair at Waterbrook Winery
- Club Fishing Outings
- Club Banquet
- Club $$$$ funding
- Reaching out for more club membership participation
- Club participation in the Tri-Cities 2011 Sportsman Show
Briefly going down this list of discussion...
- Baker Boyer Bank account currently has over $700 in funds
- It was agreed that the club should maintain the FFF liability insurance policy to cover our need of
--- annual insurance cost around $180
- We need a current roster of club members --- "old" and new --- Dale has a listing of monthly meeting attendance,
--- FFF National has a computer roster of FFF due paying members
- It was decided that we would continue to meet at Jacobi's Cafe and hope that club members would not be reluctant to attend because of higher food and beverage prices at this location. Scott will check with cafe ownership and see if they could offer a $10 fly fishers' meal deal for our hungry club membership.
- A winter fly tying workshop will again try to be started, hopefully at Country Estates Mobile Home Park in College Place as was last winter.
- We have the opportunity to work with the Walla Walla YMCA to conduct fly fishing classes. We need a few novice fly fishers to help share their knowledge with any wannabe fly fishers in our area. We would hope this should also generate new club membership.
- It was discussed the range of meeting programs we had during 2010, and how we might compliment that with fly fishing subjects of interest in 2011.
- Fly Fishing Fair 2011, again Scott will be our Point Guy with this project. He has already been discussing the date and event with Waterbrook Winery and John Spain our chef of the day. Again we hope we can have Skip Prichard to join us as our FFF certified casting instructor.
- Club fishing outings were discussed concerning the available to fly fish a 100-150 mile radius of Walla Walla for trout, carp, shad, bass (large and smallmouth), steelhead, salmon, etc. Everyone agreed they wanted to learn more of area fishing opportunities and get involved with more club fishing outings.
- A 2011 Walla² Fly Fishers Banquet was discussed. Scott said he felt that he might be able to get John Shewy to come as our guest speaker. Date of banquet will be dependent on John's and all others 2011 schedule.
- Club funding was discussed and agreed that with membership dues ($15/year-individual and $20/year-family) along with the monthly fly box raffles, and earned banquet revenues, we should be able to make it through 2011 with money in the bank.
- We hope to get more of the club membership involved with club activities in 2011. Now that our club has gotten "off the ground" we hope to create more fly fishing opportunities and membership events around our area, than just the monthly club meetings.
- 2011 Tri-Cities Sportsman Show in Pasco this month. FFF is looking for members that would like to enter the show for FREE and spend up to three (3) hours greeting and talking fly fishing to passer-bys at the show. More to be discussed at January 12th meeting.
Tight lines and good fishing.
Walla² Fly Fishers
Scott Peters - President
Skip Pritchard - Co-President
Barry Gould - Treasurer
Dale McKain - Secretary /Blog Master