Saturday, September 29, 2018

A fall fishing report from Jubilee Lake


Prior to have surgery on her shoulder in October, Heidi had to make one more trip to Jubilee Lake to R&R with some trout. She gave us this report...
After having to turn around on my way to the lake, to go help take care of my dad for several hours, I was SO relieved to finally made it to the lake mid-late afternoon!   My truck thermometer showed 65 to 67 degrees the last couple miles before the lake, and it was a real treat to not have to  bundle up for late September mountain lake fishing!   

I don't know how Tyson did re: strikes/catches, but he said he did pretty well and had a good time!  

I was slower getting on the water than Tyson, who arrived a bit before I did, but once on the water, I had "fish on" within a few dozen yards of the boat ramp!  My error re: letting slack into the line resulted in losing THAT fish, but I soon caught and netted another.  Over the next hour or so, I netted a total of 5 trout averaging 9 to 12 inches.  (I kept 4)  In addition to those netted, and the aforementioned "lost fish", I lost several others, for the same reason.. daydreaming and not setting hook well enough, and/or allowing a bit of slack in the line for "just a second".. nuff said!   I also had several soft/repeated nibbles, and several good strikes that I didn't manage to hook.  Yup, I need lots more fishing practice next year!  

A beautiful day with mild/warmish weather, and the lake was stunning, with a few scattered yellow-gold bushes scattered among the deep green evergreen trees along the shore.   I got to see a heron chase away an osprey from where it was perched high in a tree on the northeast edge of the lake, screeching loudly as it flew after the osprey.  A fair amount of osprey action, with a few leaving with fish in talons.  The ducks came in eventually too, gliding low over the water before landing.  

I used one fly the entire time I fished, and I'll attach a photo of it after being in the mouths of numerous fish!   

I didn't take any scenery shots this time.. had to make use of my very limited time to FISH!   


Wanting to get off the gravel road before dusk, plus needing to stop by to check on/help my dad on the way home, I only fished about 1.25 to 1.5 hours.  But I sure enjoyed the fishing action during that time!  

And another big thank-you to Tyson, who by being out on the water in his pontoon boat, made me feel much safer than if I'd had to be the only boat on the water!   

And being a nice guy and a great advocate for our fly fishing  club, Tyson stayed a few minutes later before heading home, in order to help me carry my boat to my pickup, then help me load it (now partly deflated and floppy) into my truck so I didn't over-strain my "bum" shoulder!   VERY much appreciated!  

A most wonderful fishing adventure on a beautiful fall day!  
A fishing report from Heidi

Tight lines and good fly fishing



No comments:

Post a Comment